So here in the U.S., Gods of Egypt is released in theaters today and I’m really excited to go see it tomorrow. Even though preliminary reception isn’t promising (I suspected it wouldn’t be when the movie received that backlash for a mostly Caucasian cast), I’ve wanted to see this movie for weeks. Why? Well, there are several reasons, namely:
- It’s set in Ancient Egypt (or at least a fantasized version of that time period) and I will never lose my love of all things Ancient Egyptian
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (aka Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones) plays Horus, and I love watching him act.
- Marco Beltrami scored the film and that means we’re bound to have a great action score (he hasn’t disappointed me yet)
- Have you SEEN those visuals in the preview trailer? Especially the one of Horus (in bird mode apparently), diving down into the city?
- Caucasian he may be, but I find Gerard Butler very convincing as the god Set (he might be channeling a bit of Leonidas from 300 but it’s hard to tell just from previews).
I’m really hoping for a wild ride through ancient Egyptian mythology. It may not be a movie I ever pick up on Blu-ray or DVD, but as long as I can enjoy myself in the theater for a few hours, that’s good enough for me.
Don’t forget to like Film Music Central on Facebook 🙂
*the film poster is property of the film studio