Milan Records has released the Inu-Oh (Original Soundtrack), an album of music from visionary director Masaaki Yuasa’s latest animated feature about a duo of classical Japanese dance theater performers who take medieval Japan by storm when they begin infusing their traditional performances with a taste of glam-rock.
Available everywhere now, the album features both instrumental score music and original Japanese vocal tracks written by pioneering composer, multi-instrumentalist and turntablist Otomo Yoshihide. A consummate artist whose experience includes everything from experimental noise music and improvised jazz to contemporary classical and avant-garde pop, Otomo Yoshihide was well-equipped to capture the anachronistic quality of the film’s music, which ranges from traditional score numbers featuring the classical Japanese biwa to modern rock operettas with vocals by Inu-Oh character voice actors Avu-chan (of QUEEN BEE) and Mirai Moriyama.
From visionary director Masaaki Yuasa, hailed by IndieWire as “one of the most creatively unbridled minds in all of modern animation,” comes a revisionist rock opera about a 14th-century superstar whose dance moves take Japan by storm.
Born to an esteemed family, Inu-oh is afflicted with an ancient curse that has left him on the margins of society. When he meets the blind musician Tomona, a young biwa priest haunted by his past, Inu-oh discovers a captivating ability to dance. The pair quickly become business partners and inseparable friends as crowds flock to their electric, larger-than-life concerts. But when those in power threaten to break up the band, Inu-oh and Tomona must dance and sing to uncover the truth behind their creative gifts.
INU-OH (ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK)
- Birth – Otomo Yoshihide
- A Thousand Biwa Players – Otomo Yoshihide
- Journey – Otomo Yoshihide
- Dengaku – Otomo Yoshihide
- Masked Creature – Otomo Yoshihide
- Growth – Otomo Yoshihide
- Encounter – Otomo Yoshihide
- Prayer – Otomo Yoshihide
- Divine Sword – Otomo Yoshihide
- Soliloquy – Inu-oh (CV: Avu-chan)**
- Ghosts of the Heike Clan – Otomo Yoshihide
- INU-OH I – Tomoichi (CV: Mirai Moriyama)**
- Burial Mound of Arms – Inu-oh (CV: Avu-chan)**
- INU-OH II – Tomoichi (CV: Mirai Moriyama)**
- The Whale – Inu-oh (CV: Avu-chan)**
- Viewing the Cherry Blossoms – Otomo Yoshihide
- Sinister Designs – Otomo Yoshihide
- INU-OH III – Tomoari (CV: Mirai Moriyama)**
- Dragon Commander – Inu-oh (CV: Avu-chan) & Tomoari (CV: Mirai Moriyama)**
- Ending Theme – Otomo Yoshihide
**Denotes vocal track
Become a Patron of the blog at patreon.com/musicgamer460
Check out the YouTube channel (and consider hitting the subscribe button)
Don’t forget to like Film Music Central on Facebook