Behold the epic teaser poster!!!
After months and MONTHS of speculation and wondering, the prayers of Star Wars fans the world over have FINALLY been answered, the first teaser for Star Wars: The Last Jedi is FINALLY here!!!!
If you have not seen it, take a moment and watch it here before going on to my thoughts:
Now then…*deep breaths* Oh my god, oh my god, OH MY FREAKING GOD that was a lot they put in there!!!!
Let’s start with breaking down the different things we see:
- Rey is in the midst of training on the island we last saw her on at the conclusion of The Force Awakens. Luke (in voice-over) seems to be coaching Rey into meditating through the Force, to see what she can see. Rey responds that she can see “The light” and we see a back shot of General Leia (with faint overtones of her immortal line “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi”), “the dark” and we see Kylo Ren’s now shattered face helmet, and most interestingly of all, she can see “the balance” and we get a shot of some unfamiliar dark space with something illuminated on the far side, and then a close shot of what I think is a symbol of the Jedi. And Luke’s voice answers “It’s so much more than that”
- We see Finn still in a coma, so I’m guessing that this is where he is when the film opens (makes sense).
- Theory: if the base does come under attack and Finn is still in a coma, is Poe going to rescue him, thus furthering the Poe/Finn story? Hmmmmmmm.
- Poe and BB-8 are fleeing a place that is under attack. Not sure if this is the base from The Force Awakens being attacked or someplace else.
- The shot that grabbed my attention the most comes towards the end. We see a shot of a building in flames, with Luke speaking that the only truth he knows is that it is time for the Jedi to come to an end (Oh I can’t wait to see the context of THAT line). I watched the shot five separate times, and I think I know what this is, or at least what it is part of. Look at the extreme foreground of the shot, and you will see a hooded figure slumping next to what is surely R2-D2. If that looks at ALL familiar, it’s because we’ve seen those two already: that’s Luke and R2 from the beginning of Rey’s Force vision when she grabs Anakin’s lightsaber. I believe that this is another vision/flashback that shows the Knights of Ren (seen marching through the flames) destroying Luke’s Jedi temple/school, with Kylo at their head (I’m thinking the shot of Kylo, saber drawn with the flames behind him comes from this scene, but it might not either). If I’m right, it will be interesting to see more of what led to Luke’s school being destroyed.
- There’s also a shot of Rey running in a dark/twilight place, lightsaber drawn, might be a different planet entirely, the island doesn’t have that much flat space.
- And there’s a strange shot of a line of fighters, new ones, zooming across a desert plain towards AT-AT walkers in the distance, trailing pink/red smoke for some reason, I guess as some kind of smoke cover?
As a teaser, this one works great by giving us a look at a LOT of things, but also keeping out the finer details, to keep us hungering for more. I can’t wait to see more as the summer begins, and until the next trailer arrives, I will happily pore over this teaser piece by piece, gleaning what I can.
One last note to speak about the music: of course it’s the excellent music from John Williams, but by and large I don’t think anything new has been introduced yet. It was a retread of themes we heard in The Force Awakens: Rey’s theme is interwoven with The Force/Luke’s theme, there’s a brief mention of the First Order’s theme and the latter half of the trailer has the dramatic musical build up that is almost an identical match to the music heard in one of the last trailers for The Force Awakens.
What do YOU think of the first teaser for The Last Jedi? I’m so excited to FINALLY be getting a look at this film, so please let me know what you think in the comments below.
Only 8 months and one day until The Last Jedi is released in theaters!!!
Don’t forget to like Film Music Central on Facebook 🙂